The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically qualified, yet economically disadvantaged young people in South Africa, SADC and the rest of Africa, who will contribute to the transformation of the continent. Community service is a necessary component of the Program with all students giving back to disadvantaged communities.
The identified scholars need to demonstrate a commitment to making a difference in their communities, having faced significant barriers to accessing and completing quality tertiary education. The Program provides a comprehensive scholarship, mentoring and counseling, academic support and access to work readiness skills.
All potential MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) applicants for academic year 2018 have to apply at the respective faculty FIRST before applying for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program. Once your application has been approved then you may apply for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program.
No MCFSP applications will be considered if you have not applied at the faculty first.
- Candidates should be citizens from Sub-Saharan African country.
- Applicants should come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and demonstrate financial neediness.
- Candidates should demonstrate leadership potential and ought to be involved in a giving back project eg. in a community, at school, church etc
- Academic excellence is paramount and students have to maintain a high academic average at all times.
- Candidates need to be first time applicants as first year students in the degree programme.
UP Application Process
UP Application Process
Applications to study at UP opens on 1st March and closes on the 30th August of the year proceeding the year of study.
Students who are interested in studies at the University of Pretoria and wish to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program must follow the application process.
Apply online at www.up.ac.za/apply. Alternatively, you can submit a hard copy of your application form. For more information, dial +27 (0)12 420 4297/6621 or send an email to
After your application has been submitted, it will be evaluated by members of the relevant faculty. The faculty will inform you whether you have been admitted.
Once you have been admitted, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to commence the process to apply for The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program immediately.
Successful MasterCard Foundation Scholars should have a passport to enable them to apply for a visa promptly.
Please visit the ISD website at www.up.ac.za/isd for general information for international students.
For more information, visit the Up scholarship portal
Latest posts by Nnanyelugo Valentine (see all)
- How to Apply for Diamond Bank BET7 with Sample Pitch (Video) - September 16, 2017
- GE Lagos Garage launches new program for entrepreneurs in Nigeria - September 2, 2017
- How to Apply for AppAfrica Innovative Award-Appafrica.com - September 2, 2017
See Related Opportunities